On July 10, 2008 by Anand Subramanian. · 49 comments so far
When my latest princess came home, I was in a fix as to how to move my chat history from one computer to another retaining all the precious archives and messages I sent and received on the PC for over 3 years now
After a while of searching, I was not able to find proper solution for this thing except bits and pieces of what I wanted to do. How to transfer chat history or message archive from one computer to another.
- Exit Yahoo Messenger if you are using it. (Just to be safe)
- Go to: C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles
- If you have multiple ids, you can see them there, copy the ones you need and put it on some other folder, like the desktop or the like. Remember to Rename it before saving. If you are planning to backup your Yahoo! Chat History, You too can follow the above steps and copy it back to the same location as before after you reinstall your messenger and windows.
- If you are using Windows XP, you can paste it back to C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles after you install your messenger.
- But my problem was that I was using Vista and Yahoo! did not save the archive in the same place in Vista as in XP.
- In Vista, the location of Yahoo Messenger profiles is C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles so you need to paste it there for your archive to be visible.
- Tada! Thats it!
Thank god it worked, now I have all the chat histories of me with my Ex-girlfriends Muhahahhaaa…